Saturday, July 12, 2008

indy trip--day 5

Today, Saturday morning, started out a bit slow. Thankfully, Grandaddy wasn't sick today...it was raining!! GRRR!! It should be against the rules to rain while you are on vacation. The temperature was very cool this morning, so much so that we dressed in jeans and jackets. Due to the weather, it was decided that we needed to stay closer to "home". So we set out towards the two covered bridges in Hamilton County. The first one was within a small park. It is in its original location, but the road has been rerouted around it. I learned that the covered bridges are mainly located in the North and were believed to hold up better over time considering the weather conditions. These structures kept the bridges clear of ice and snow. This bridge is named Potter's Bridge. It was constructed in 1860 and restored in 1936. (At this point, you will notice we have shed our jackets.)

The second and only other covered bridge in the county is located within Conner Prairie Farm (http://www.connerprairie.org/index). This living history museum provided an afternoon of activity. (As you scroll through these picture, you will notice that either, we are not present in the photos or we are covered in sweat--it definitely warmed up in the afternoon and was VERY humid.) The historical areas are set upon several acres where you travel between various time periods with buildings and people of the past.

Conner's Barn was the first place we visited. We were able to view twin lambs that were born at 11:30am yesterday. It was so precious. Mitchell and Becky are petting the male in this picture. The female was much smaller.

There were also chicks and ducks to "encounter". I was very surprised by the texture of the ducks feathers. It was so soft!

Then we continued on to "Prairietown" (set in 1836). I am anxious to become familiar with the third grade curriculum...I still have the eyes of a first grade teacher. All the while I was looking for good pictures of the buildings or artifacts for Then/Now studies or other topics. I wonder if I will be able to use them in my new classroom or if I will just need to pass them along to my colleagues! Yesterday, I mentioned that we were learning a lot about life with a wheelchair...well, we experienced it from a different perspective on gravel roads and muddy areas today. Did I describe the humidity today? We were offered a room at the Golden Eagle Inn for only 12 cents, however the two private rooms were already rented to the innkeeper's 3 sons and daughter-in-law and another tenant. The common room was still available!

The covered bridge in "Liberty Corner" (set in 1886) was more picturesque than the previous bridge. I was proud that it made for a good chance to play photographer. My favorite photo from today was too large to upload.

The last area that we visited was the Lenape Indian Camp. Mitchell interacted with an authentic Delaware Native American who taught him how to throw tomahawks. He got the second one on the target! Yea!

For dinner, we went to Old Town Carmel. We ate at Bub's Burgers and then had dessert in the Ice Cream Shoppe (http://www.bubsburgersandicecream.com/burgers/photos/photos.html). It was a good summer meal! The storms came back just as we completed our treats, sending us back home for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment