Wednesday, October 20, 2010

priceless gift

This is the second post in a series of three.

I have reflected and shared of the many things that Grandaddy did in denial of himself for me.  I retold the story of the many Fridays in 1997, 1998, and 1999 in which I would call Grandaddy immediately following the completion of my final class on Friday afternoon around noon.  I would tell him of my desire to come home and ask him to come get me from college.  He would simply respond "I'm putting on my shoes...".  I could gather my belongings, watch the clock, and meet him downstairs upon his arrival in front of the dorm.  He did not delay when I called.  He was reliable, without a complaint.

Later, my sweet friend, Sue penned this poem in honor of my relationship with Grandaddy, the specific story, and the memories that I shared with him.  It touched my heart.  She provided a priceless gift.  A new memory to replace images I wanted to forget.


Grandaddy

As God reviewed His Book of Days
To see who next to call,
He scanned the pages one by one,
Reviewed the work of all.

“This is the one; let’s bring him home,”
He stated to the Son.
“He’s fought the fight and finished well;
His work on earth is done.”

“The final threads are all in place
My tapestry’s complete.
Once more I’ll claim the victory,
And death will know defeat.”

So when your Grandaddy heard the call
He knew just what to do.
He quickly rose and gladly said,
“I’m putting on my shoes.”


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Just beautiful. What a wonderful gift - memories of your Granddaddy. Love you friend.

    ReplyDelete