It's already been established that I am a dork! Thankfully, I have dorky friends and the rest love me in spite of it. This week I went to Austin for a seminar related to TAKS. I thought it was invigorating. I soaked up the knowledge and dove right into the data. I'm using what I know now until the students do their practice test on Tuesday. Then, I get to apply my new learning. Finally, THE test is not a mystery to me anymore and I think I have what it will take for my students to succeed. Of course, there is the ultimate countdown to when the results from March 3rd are released...we will be praying! The trip also included more learning in the car as we listened to CDs related to another aspect of our work at school. All in all, I was pretty much learning for 3 days straight! Wow...it was tiring. My brain hurt when I got home.
Following a series of events over the past two months, I've realized once again that Texas is in my blood. I love things related to this culture and enjoy spending time in it. So it was perfect when my week included an unexpected rendevous "off the beaten path" down to Gruene, Texas. Along the way, we drove down River Road. I was just soaking in the Texas land and sites. A few places provided some photograph opportunities which I loved, indeed. The camera, aka "my best friend", has a new name-Ida. I'm going to use it for now and see if it sticks. It has been a year and a half since my only other trip to this mecca of Texas essence and history. My heart calls out to the small town so it was nearly jumping inside of me. When we arrived we browsed through a few shops, at which point I could feel my feet beginning to drag across the floor. Then we passed through the door of Gruene Hall. Picture this: a Bud Light in a RRB koozie sitting on a wooden table with the vibrations of Texas Country music around. I was satisfied! Texas Renegade was playing...good. Later we strolled on over to Gruene River Grill for dinner. Would anything other than Chicken Fried Steak have suited this occasion, I think not. :)
Here are some pictures, from Gruene, and a few other honky tonk times during my blog absence.
The rest of work has had its ups and downs during the past few weeks. I'm adjusting to the changes around me. It appears, and I'm hopeful, that there are some silver linings to the dark clouds.
The week ended with a different sort of adventure. Bridal shopping with Brooke. The look on her face when she realized this was the one...

You'll have to wait until June to see that one!


No comments:
Post a Comment